Notes on Journal Prompts
journal journal writing promptswriting prompts
Based on the assumption that an academic year, in most cases, consists of 180 days divided into 4 quarters, I have grouped these prompts accordingly. You, of course, may choose to use any of these at whatever time you like.
There are eight graphics on this page to serve as general visual bookmarks. Additionally, please consider using the following text links to jump to specific points on this page:
Go to 1st Quarter Prompts
Go to 2nd Quarter Prompts
Go to 3rd Quarter Prompts
Go to 4th Quarter Prompts
1st Quarter Journal Writing Prompts
Return to top of page
What follows below is a simple listing of prompts.
If you'd like to make these really POP (and save yourself some effort at the same time), you may be interested in Journal Jumpstarts, Volume 1, which contains prompts 1-20 listed below.
1. Write about going back to school after summer vacation.
journal writing prompts
2. Write a thank you note to a friend who gave you onion and garlic-flavored chewing gum.
journal writing prompts
3. Draw an imaginary constellation. Write a story such as ancient people might have told about it.
4. Describe a real made-up dream or nightmare.
journal writing prompts
5. Write about your favorite childhood toy. journal writing prompts
6. Write out the best or the worst day of your life.
7. Finish this thought: if I could change one thing about myself (if you can't think of anything, you might want to consider telling how you got to be perfect!)
8. If and when I raise children, I'll never...
9. I have never been more frightened than when...
10. Persuade a friend to give up drugs.
11. Five years from now, I will be...
12. Write about a day you'd like to forget.
13. Invent and describe a new food.
journal writing prompts
14. Describe an event that changed your life forever, or make up and describe an event that would change your life forever.
15. Describe someone who is a hero to you and explain why.
16. Write about a time in your life when you struggled with a choice and made the right one.
17. Imagine yourself in a different century and describe an average day in your life.
18. Which character from a book would you most like to meet and why?
19. Three goals I have set for myself are...
20. What would you do if 300 mice had just gotten out of their cages in a pet shop where you worked?Just like the above 20 prompts, prompts 21-40 listed below have not been "dressed up" much.
To see them in their finest clothing, you may want to download Journal Jumpstarts, Volume 2.
21. What would you do if you were locked inside your favorite department store overnight?
22. What would you do if you woke up one morning to find yourself invisible?
23. What would you do if you were able to communicate with animals?
24. What would you do if you could travel into the future?
25. What would you do if you could travel into the past?
26. What would you do if someone just gave you $1 million?
27. What would you do it all the electricity in the world just stopped?
28. What would you do if you could travel free anyplace in the world?
29. What would you do if the dinner served to you in a fancy restaurant came with a fly in the mashed potatoes?
30. Write a list of at least 50 things that make you feel good.
31. Describe the perfect day. Put in as many details as you can. Make it a possible day, not a "dream day."
32. Who is the person from history that you would most like to meet and talk to? Why? What would you like to ask?
33. Who is the person from literature that you would most like to meet and talk to? Why? What would you like to ask?
34. Compile a list of words that describe you as a child. Compile a second list that describes you as you are now. How are these lists the same? How are they different?
35. Compile a list of inanimate or animate objects to which you might compare yourself metaphorically. (I am a windmill. I change direction or my thoughts whenever someone talks to me...)
36. Tell about what triggers anger in you or someone else.
37. Invent a monster and describe it. Tell where it lives, what it eats, and what it does.
38. What is your favorite kind of weather? Why?
39. What is the best book you have ever read? Why did you like it? Did reading the book change you in any way? What way?
40. Write about what you didn't do this weekend.Prompts 41-60 (listed below) are included in Journal Jumpstarts, Volume 3.
Just display the prompt of the day via your digital projector, SMART Board, or classroom TV and take a break from your whiteboard for awhile!
41. Think about an incident that happened to you and exaggerate in the telling. Make it into a tall tale.
42. If you were ruler of the world, what things would you banish absolutely for all time (rain on weekends, eggplant, and so forth)? Make a list. Use your imagination.
43. If you could go back in time anywhere and "anywhen," where/when would you go and why?
44. What law would you like to see enacted which would help people? How would it help?
45. What commercial on TV do you dislike beyond all others? What about it is particularly annoying to you?2nd Quarter Journal Writing Prompts
Return to top of page
46. Design some gadget, machine, building, or other creation that might enrich the future. What does it look like? What does it do? How does it function? In what ways might it benefit people?journal writing prompts
47. What current fashion in clothing do you particularly like or dislike? Explain. journal writing prompts
48. Convince someone why music or art or computers are important in your life. Make them appreciate your viewpoint.
49. If you had $100,000, how would you spend it?
50. Be a building you know well. Talk about your life and memories.
51. You are to tell a person from a distant planet or from another era what pollution is. Make that person understand what causes it and why it is bad.
52. If you could do something that you never have done before, what would it be? Why would you want to do it?
53. Begin a list of questions that you'd like to have answered. They may be about the future or the past.
54. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment to date and why?
55. Write one characteristic or habit about yourself that you like and describe it. Or write about one thing you don't like about yourself.
56. What is your hobby? Why do you enjoy it?
57. If you could go somewhere where you've never gone before, where would you go and why?
58. What's, if anything, would you be willing to fight or even die for? Explain your answer.
59. If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be? Why would you make this change?
60. Is there a machine you feel you could not live without? Explain.The following prompts (61-80) are included in Journal Jumpstarts, Volume 4.
Just like all of the volumes in the Journal Jumpstarts series, Volume 4 features 21 high-quality animations that add “punch” to the prompts.
Use these animations in your own Powerpoints wherever you choose to do so.
61. Write about what you think you will be like and what you will be doing 10 years or 20 years from now.
62. Did you ever stick up for someone?
63. Describe your neighborhood bully.
64. Write about a baby-sitting experience.
65. Describe a great fort you built for a great game you played as a child.
66. Write about an enemy who eventually became your friend.
67. Write about a time you cheated and got caught.
68. Write about a privilege you earned.
69. Write about the stray animal you brought home.
70. Did you ever send away for something that turned out to be a disappointment? (Or order something over the Internet)
71. What is it like to go shopping with your mother?
72. Write about a time you performed in front of an audience.
73. Write about a difficult decision you had to make.
74. Write about learning to skate, to ride a bike, to climb a tree, or to turn a cart wheel.
75. Did you ever get lost in a strange town?
76. Were you ever locked in or out? What did you do?
77. What was it like to spend your first night away from home?
78. What was it like to come back home after a long vacation?
79. Write about a disappointment.
80. Write about something minor that turned into a big deal.The following prompts (81-100) are included in Journal Jumpstarts, Volume 5.
All of the prompts in the Journal Jumpstarts series are titled and listed in a clickable table of contents, making it easier to determine where to resume.
81. Did you ever win or lose a contest? Tell the story about what happened.
82. Write about something you desperately wanted when you were younger.
83. Did you ever know someone who had "everything"?
84. Write about the time as a child you played in one of the following: treehouse, a cornfield, a construction site, a junkyard, an abandoned house or barn, a stream, a cemetery, a swamp, a pasture, railroad tracks.
85. Did your mom or dad ever make you wear something you hated?
86. Write about a time you were talked into something and you regretted it.
87. Were you ever in a helicopter, limousine, racecar, hot-air balloon, submarine, or horse-drawn carriage?
88. Did you ever forget something really important? What happened as a result?
89. Write about an experience in a hospital.
90. Were you ever accused of something that you didn't do?3rd Quarter Journal Writing Prompts
Return to top of page
91. Write about a disastrous trip or vacation.
92. Were you ever given a responsibility that you couldn't handle? journal writing prompts
93. Were you ever in a fire, flood, tornado, or hurricane?
94. Describe the best concert you ever attended.
95. Write about a window you broke or something valuable you lost.
96. Did you ever catch fireflies? Crickets? Frogs? Snakes?
97. Write about a time you tried to help and ended up making things worse.
98. Did you ever break an important promise?
99. Write about moving to another city or neighborhood.
100. Describe an outdoor game you used to play in the summer time.
101. Write about building sand castles or mud pies.
102. Did you ever meet a famous person?
103. Write about mowing the lawn, burning leaves, or weeding the garden.
104. Describe the club you organized as a kid.
105. Describe a car or bicycle accident you were in.
106. Write about being a misfit.
107. Write about a day spent in another country.
108. Write about a time you out-smarted someone.
109. Write about going shopping for new clothes.
110. Did you ever turn someone in or tell on someone and feel bad about it later?
111. Imagine that you are an animal in the zoo. What type of animal are you? How do you feel about being caged? How do you feel about people that visit and watch you?
112. Write about a time your parents embarrassed you.
113. Describe learning something from a friend.
114. Write about a time you gave someone good advice.
115. Write about the funniest thing that ever happened to you.
116. If you had to escort a visitor from outer space for a 30-minute tour of your community, where would you begin and end?
117. Be a grape that becomes a raisin: describe how it feels to shrink, to shrivel, to become dry and wrinkled.
118. Be an icicle that becomes water. Describe how it feels to be cold and firm and full of beautiful crystals but only to melt and lose your shape.
119. You go to the store with your parents and baby brother. Your parents go into a store and tell you to watch your brother. You take your eyes off your brother for just a minute and you can't find him. You...
120. I really hate it when my mother/father/sibling...
121. What if the use of robots in school becomes a workable reality?
122. What would you pack in your suitcase if you could not go home again?
123. You have just met an alien from another planet. He wishes to take a student back to his planet. Convince him you would be the perfect specimen for him to take.
124. If you could change one law, what law would it be and how would you change it?
125. How forgiving are you when a friend lets you down? Explain. Give an example.
126. What if you were named principal for the week? What would you do?
127. If you could only speak twenty words for the rest of your life, what words would head your list and why?
128. It started out as an unusual Monday morning, when I...
129. As I approached the deserted house at the end of the road, I saw...
130. Do you think girls are raised differently from boys? If so, in what ways?
131. Do you think you are treated differently because you are a boy or girl?
132. Do you think men and women are equal in today's society? Why or why not?
133. Do you think a woman will be President of the United States in the near future?
134. Two men or women have it easier in our culture? If so, why do you think so?
135. Have you ever wished you were either older or younger? What would you consider to be the benefits? The problems?4th Quarter Journal Writing Prompts
Return to top of pagejournal writing prompts
136. Describe what you think of as the typical mother.
journal writing prompts
137. Describe what you think of as the typical father.
journal writing prompts
138. Do you think women should take men's last names when they marry? Why or why not?
journal writing prompts
139. Would you rather have a brother or sister? Why?
140. Describe a fight you had with your mother. Now tell it from her point of view. journal writing prompts
141. Write a short biography of your mother.
142. Write a short biography of your father.
143. Visualize a time when your mother was laughing. Recall a time when you two shared a good laugh over something.
144. Write a physical description of your mother. Write as if you were looking at a movie rather than a photograph.
145. Concentrate on a particular habit that your mother has and write about it.
146. If you had three wishes, what would they be? (Do not ask for three more wishes)
147. What is something special and/or different about you? Why do you think it is special or different?
148. Write about two things that your family has taught you.
149. Write about some of the things that you worry about.
150. Describe a happy memory of your family.
151. How do you know someone loves you, even if he or she doesn't say it?
152. Name one thing you like about yourself and why you like it.
153. Imagine yourself as a teacher. What type of student would you like to teach and why?
154. Name and describe a teacher who made a difference in your life. What did that teacher do that was so special?
155. What makes you proud to be an American?
156. Describe the one thing that gives you the most comfort.
157. If you could be a character in any book, TV show, or movie, who would you be and why?
158. If you had to work in any store at your favorite mall, which store would it be and why?
159. Describe the most difficult thing about being your age.160. Describe one possession that means the most to you.
161. Who is the most important role model in your life?
162. Describe your best personality trait.
163. If you could study one subject in school that wasn't offered, what would it be and why?
164. If you had a chance to live anywhere you could, where would it be and why?
165. Write about the pros/cons of year-round school or a four-day school week.
166. Write about your favorite sport.
167. Is the school year too long? Too short? Why?
168. What does your summer usually consist of?
169. Who should be paid more, professional athletes or teachers? Why or why not?
170. What class do you enjoy the most and why?
171. Write about the worst fight you ever had with a friend.
172. If you had only one month to live, what would you do?
173. Describe your dream house.
174. Who is your favorite person to be with? Why?
175. What would be your ideal job when you grow up? Explain.
176. If you could guest star on any TV show, what would it be and why?
177. What do you think your life will be like in 10 years? 20 years?
178. Describe how you would manage your own radio or TV station.
179. What is your definition of success?
180. The saying goes, "Money cannot buy happiness." Do you agree or disagree? Why? journal writing prompts
journal writing prompts
Return to Daily Teaching Tools from Journal Promptsjournal writing prompts
Journals are a wonderful way to express ideas. There is no right or wrong way to journal. Respond in any way that makes sense to you. Be creative! Use your imagination! You may include illustrations, but the goal is to work with your words.
Journal Prompts by Essay Type:
Additional Prompts (download as a pdf)
1. If I were the teacher, I would...
2. If I could give one piece of advice to any person in history, that advice would be...
3. Describe a dream that you had recently. Provide as many details as possible.
4. The best lesson my grandparent (or parent or any relative) ever taught me was...
5. [on the day after the Grammy Awards are announced.] Do you think the right artists won? Why or why not?
6. Tell five things you'd like to do on your next birthday.
7. Imagine a friend of yours is considering whether to take steroids. What would you tell that friend to persuade him or her not to do that?
8. In 20 years, I will be...
9. Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you.
10. I was most angry when...
11. If you could design one room in a house to suit only your needs, what would it look like? (Challenge kids to be as fanciful as they like. For example, would someone have a desk made of chocolate?)
12. Describe your perfect vacation.
13. My worst mistake was...
14. [for high-school students.] Do you believe in love at first sight?
15. If you and your best friend could have a free limo for 24 hours, where would you go and what would you do?
16. You have the freedom to travel to any city or country in the world. Where would you go and why?
17. What would you do if you were president of the United States?
18. You have an extra $100,000 to give away; you cannot spend it on yourself. What would you do with the money?
19. The qualities that make a best friend are...
20. If you were an insect, what kind would you be and why?
21. Describe your room at home in detail. What are you proudest of and why?
22. [using a current local controversy] Do you agree with the decision? Why? Would you change if anything? What?
1. What is something you dislike about yourself?
2. What is something you do well?
3. What is your favourite room in your home and why?
4. What is a good neighbour?
5. What is the worst thing parents can do to their children?
6. What is your favourite time of day?
7. What is your idea of a dull evening?
8. What is the best way to treat meddlesome people?
9. What is something you are optimistic about?
10. What is something you are pessimistic about?
11. What is your most indispensable possession and why?
12. What is the meaning of "He laughs best who laughs last"?
13. What is your favourite song and why?
14. What is the best birthday present you ever received?
15. What is the best birthday present you could receive?
16. What is something that makes you feel sad?
17. What is your favourite book and why?
18. What is something that really bugs you?
19. What is something that really makes you angry?
20. What is the best advice you ever received?
21. What is your favourite holiday? What makes this holiday special?
22. What is your favourite day of the week?
23. What is your favourite month? Why?
1. What would happen if you could fly whenever you wanted? When would you use this ability?
2. What would happen if there were no television? Why would this be good? bad?
3. What would happen if everyone lived in space? What type of houses would they live in? What type of clothing would they wear? What type of food would they eat? How would they travel?
4. What if cows gave root beer instead of milk?
5. What if all the streets were rivers? What would be different?
6. What would happen if people never co-operated? Why do you think it is important to co-operate?
7. What would happen if it really did rain cats and dogs?
8. What would happen if animals could talk? What are some of the questions you would like to ask animals?
9. What would happen if you could become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you could do that you cannot do now?
10. What would happen if everyone wore the same clothes?
11. What would happen if you threw a piece of trash on the ground? What if everyone did?
12. What if you could walk up walls and across ceilings?
13. What would happen if you loved your neighbour as yourself? What if everyone did?
14. What would happen if you grew taller than trees? How would this change your life?
15. What would happen if children ruled the world?
16. What would happen if there were no cars, buses, trains, boats, or planes? How would this change your life?
17. What if everyone lived under water? Where would people live? What games would children play? What would school be like?
18. What would happen if you found gold in your backyard?
19. What would you do if a bully bothered you on your way home?
20. What would you do if you did very poorly of a test?
21. What would you do if a friend borrows things from you but never returns them?
22. What would you do if You were the teacher and everyone forgot his homework?
23. What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat began to leak?
24. What would you do if Your friend had a broken leg? How would you cheer him up?
25. What would you do if you saw little bugs in your salad?
26. What would you do if you woke up in another country and no one could understand you?
27. What would you do if you ordered an ice cream cone and you forgot to bring money?
28. What would you do if someone got in front of you when you were in line at the movies?
29. What would you do if your jelly sandwich fell upside down on the floor?
30. What would you do if only one hot dog is left and neither you nor your friend have had one?
31. What would you do if two of your best friends went to the movies without inviting you?
32. What would you do if the surprise party was for you but you weren't surprised?
33. What would you do if you got a present you didn't like?
34. What would you do if you were at home and your homework was at school?
35. What would you do if you dropped the cookie jar and it broke?
36. What would you do if you were invited to two parties on the same day?
37. What would you do if you promised to feed your pet and you didn't?
38. What would you do if someone said you did something wrong and you didn't?
39. What would you do if your new shoes felt fine in the store but now they are hurting?
40. What would you do if someone told you a joke that you don't think is funny?
41. What would you do if an hour before the party you remember you don't have a gift?
42. What would you do if a friend comes to your house and his/her mom doesn't know he's/she's there?
43. What would you do if you had four math problems marked wrong that were right?
44. What would you do if you found in the street?
45. What would you do if you found a magic wand?
46. What would you do if you wanted to be friends with someone who spoke no English?
47. What would you say if someone told you it was all right to steal from a large department store?
48. What would you do if you saw a friend cheating--report it, confront the friend, nothing--and why?
49. If you could have been someone in history, who would you have been?
50. If you could only take 3 people with you on a trip around the world, who would you take and why?
51. If you could give any gift in the world, what would you give and to whom?
52. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
53. If you received any sum of money as a gift, what would you do with it?
54. If you could do whatever you wanted to right now, what would you do?
55. If you were principal of this school, what would you do?
56. If you were a mouse in your house in the evening, what would you see your family doing?
57. If you were five years older you would...
58. If you were lost in the woods and it got dark, what would you do?
59. If it were your job to decide what shows can be on t.v., how would you choose?
60. If there were no rules, what do you think would happen?
61. If you owned a store, what would you do to discourage people from stealing from you?
62. If you could participate in an Olympic event, which one would you choose and why? If you could break the Guiness Book of Records it would be for?
63. If you had to describe yourself as a colour, which would you choose?
64. If your friend told you of a secret plan to run away from home, what would you do and why?
What do you think...
1. What do you think of 3D movies?
2. What do you think someone your age can do to help reduce the amount of pollution in our environment?
3. What do you think the world needs now?
4. What do you think your friends say to each other when you're not around?
5. What do you think about the amount of violence on T.V.?
6. What do you think about people polluting the environment?
7. What do you think about having set rules for people to follow?
8. What do you think about people who are inconsiderate of others?
9. What do you think should be done to keep people who are under the influence of alcohol off the road?
10. What do you think the world will be like when you are a grown up?
11. What do you think about ghosts?
12. What do you think of someone who has bad manners?
13. What do you think about people who take advantage of others?
14. What do you think about when you can't fall asleep?
15. What do you think courage means?
16. What do you think makes a good friend?
17. What do you think makes a happy family?
18. What pollutants do you think do the most damage and why?
19. What things do you think are beautiful?
1. What do you like most about yourself?
2. What do you like to do in your free time?
3. What kind of animal would you like to be and why?
4. What kind of trophy would you like to win?
5. What TV or movie star would you like to invite to your birthday party?
6. What does "Clothes make the person" mean to you?
7. What does "Have your cake and eat it too" mean to you?
8. What does "The early bird gets the worm" mean to you?
9. What do we mean when we say, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?
10. What does "You can't take it with you" mean?
11. What do we mean when we say, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"?
12. What do we mean when we say, "Hitch your wagon to a star"?
13. What does "still waters run deep" mean to you?
14. What does "There are two sides to every coin" mean to you?
15. What does Canada mean to you?
16. What are you afraid of? Why?
17. What are junk foods?
18. What are some nutritious foods that you like?
19. What are some rules you have to follow at home?
20. What are some examples of prejudice?
21. What is more important to you, appearance or personality?
22. What is most important to you in a friend--loyalty, generosity, honesty--why?
23. What is something that makes you melancholy?
24. What makes your best friend your best friend?
25. What makes you feel safe?
26. What makes you laugh?
27. What would you invent to make life better?
28. What would you do to entertain your family without spending any money?
29. What effects does watching violence have on people?
30. What effects do cigarette and alcohol advertising have on young people?
31. What kind of t.v. commercial would you like to make? Describe it.
32. What kind of pet would you most like to have--monkey, snake, goat--why?
33. What kind of program do you enjoy most on TV--detective shows, comedies, game shows--and why?
34. What advice would you give a new student?
35. What advice would you give to someone who stole something but now feels guilty?
36. What things are better than going to school? Why?
37. What talents do you have?
38. What three words would describe you right now?
39. What four things are most important in your life?
40. What colour makes you think of happiness?
41. What has been the most fun activity at school so far?
42. What quality do you like about yourself--creativity, personality, appearance--why?
43. What eccentric behaviour in a friend disturbs you the most?
44. What parts of nature do you like best?
45. What do you do for exercise?
1. How do you feel when it's your birthday? Why?
2. How do you feel on the first day of winter? Why?
3. How would you feel if you were going to be on a show? Why?
4. How do you feel when you do something wrong?
5. How do you feel when you do something that is very good?
6. How do you feel when you play a trick on someone?
7. How would you feel if a new child moved into your neighbourhood?
8. How do you think the new child would feel?
9. How do you feel when you have had a fight with your best friend?
10. How do you think your friend felt?
11. How do you feel when you are in bed with the lights out?
12. How do you feel when you want something very badly and you cannot have it? Why is this so important to have?
13. How do you feel on a warm sunny day?
14. How do you feel when you stay with a babysitter?
15. How do you feel when you're leaving home on vacation?
16. How do you feel when you sleep at someone's house?
17. How do you feel during a thunderstorm?
18. How do you feel on the first day of school?
19. How do you feel when your parents are upset with you? Why do they become upset with you?
20. How do you feel on Thanksgiving? What are you thankful for?
21. How do feel on (any holiday)?
22. How do you feel when something scares you? What do you do when this happens?
23. How would you feel if someone told you that you were his or her best friend?
24. How do you feel about your appearance?
25. How would you change the world to make it better?
26. How do you think eating junk food affects you?
27. How do you have the most fun--alone, with a large group, with a few friends--and why?
28. Explain how to play your favorite game.
1. I wish I had a million... Then I would...
2. I wish I had one... because
3. I wish I could be like.... This person is special because....
4. I wish to be a ________ when I grow up. Then I will....
5. I wish there were a law that said..... This would be a good law because....
6. I wish I could forget the time I ..... because....
7. I wish trees could..... because....
8. I wish I could see...... because.....
9. I wish I could learn..... because.....
10. I wish I didn't have to eat...... I don't like this food because.....
11. I wish everyone would learn to ..... Then everyone would.....
12. I wish I never......
13. I wish I had one more chance to..... Then I would.....
14. I wish there was an electric......
15. I wish I had enough money to......
16. I wish everyone loved......
17. I wish all children would......
18. I wish everyone had.....
19. I wish I could touch......
20. I wish animals could...... If they could, then.....
21. I wish I looked like.... because......
22. I wish there were no more.....
23. I wish I didn't have to.....
24. I wish I could go to.....
25. I wish there really was..... If there really was, then.....
26. I wish I could hear......
27. I wish I could give......
28. If all my wishes came true, I would......
1. Describe a time when you felt vengeful.
2. Describe your favourite toy. Why do you like it best?
3. Describe the most ludicrous outfit you can think of.
4. Describe the best teacher you ever had.
1. When you are angry, how do you look?
2. When are you happiest?
3. When have you felt lonely?
4. When do you feel proud?
5. When was the last time you cried and why?
6. When a friend was in an embarrassing situation, what did you do?
7. When it might hurt their feelings, how do you feel about telling your friends the truth?
8. When might it be bad to be honest?
9. When someone picks on someone else, how do you feel? What do you do?
10. Once, when you were very frightened, what happened?
11. Once, when you were embarrassed, what happened?
12. Once, when your feelings were hurt, what happened?
1. Which quality best describes your life--exciting, organised, dull--and why?
2. Which quality do you dislike most about yourself--laziness, selfishness, childishness--and why?
3. Which place would you most like to visit--Africa, China, Alaska--why?
4. Which holiday has the most meaning for you-Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day--and why?
5. Which is least important to you--money, power, fame--and why?
6. Which is most important to you--being popular, accomplishing things, being organised--and why?
1. Who do you talk to when you have a problem?
2. Who is your favourite Star Wars character (or other movie/book/t.v. show, etc.)?
3. Who or what has had a strong influence in your life?
1. Where would you prefer to be right now--mountains, desert, beach--and why?
2. Why is it important to be honest?
3. Why is important to have good manners?
4. Why do you think adults smoke/drink?
5. Why is exercise important to someone your age?
6. Why do you think some people encourage others to smoke/drink?
7. Why do you think the rules you must follow are good or bad?
8. Why would it be good to be honest?
9. Why have men and women usually only done certain types of work?
10. Why should or shouldn't a man stay home to care for the house and children while his wife goes to work?
11. Why do you think some people take advantage of others?
12. Why do you think prejudice exists in the world?
13. Why would we say that someone is "passing the buck"?
14. Why would a President have a sign on his desk which read, "The buck stops here"?
15. Why do you think tact is an important quality?
16. Why is it not wise to squander your money?
17. Explain why we say, "dead as a door nail".
1. Do you think there is too much fighting on t.v. Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is necessary to have alcohol at a party in order to have a good time?
3. Does it bother you to be around someone who has bad manners?
4. Should there be a dress code in places such as school, restaurants, and places of business? Why or why not?
5. Should animals be used for medical research?
6. Should the American Government financially support Olympic teams?
7. Should people be prohibited from smoking in certain places?
8. Families are important because...
9. Would you like to be famous? Why or why not? What would you like to be famous for?